Established in the 1920s by William and Blanche Schleman, Forest Park Golf Course was originally a six-hole course. The Schleman family donated the golf course to the city in 1947 with the stipulation that it be restored and operated as a municipal facility. Shortly thereafter, 40 acres of land were acquired adjacent to the property, and the course was expanded to nine holes with a clubhouse. Construction of the course was supervised by Harry Williamson, who later became the golf course manager. The dedication was held on June 19, 1949, with William Schleman teeing up the first ball. Forest Park hired its first PGA professional, Richard Dodds, in 1954.
Fifty acres were later purchased north of the existing course to create an additional nine holes and a new clubhouse. Williams J. Spear of St. Charles, Illinois, was hired as the course architect. The new nine holes were numbered one through nine, while the existing holes became 10 through 18. A dedication ceremony was held on May 31, 1973. Among those teeing off that day was Helen Schleman, daughter of the original donor.
The majestic course continues to draw golfers from around the region and beyond.